Fatal Frame, 2014 - ★★★

Fatal Frame, 2014 - ★★★
REVIEWED

..::Selection for Hoop-tober 2.o Horror Fest::..

"Help me unlock the curse" - Aya (Ayami Nakajo)

Subtle, ethereal j-horror about forbidden star-crossed lesbian love and fear of adulthood. While learning about the doomed Ophelia from Shakespeares Hamlet, pupils at an all girls Catholic boarding school become collectively fascinated with death and a ghostly photograph of a girl rumoured to have commited suicide in the school gardens lake.

To keep in the Japanese spirit I viewed it on my ps4 while wearing my kimono and eating noodles. Its loosely based on the first game in Tecmo's Fatal Frame survival horror franchise, I can't comment on how close it follows the series as I never played the games (they got so little exposure here in the UK). I can say that its far removed from being a typical Japanese supernatural jump-scare-a-thon. And that its asthetically a massive improvement for female genre director Mari Asato. While it wasn't totally my type of film, its well acted by the young cast. I can see it being an hit with angsty teens and fans of dreamy 'Lovely Bones' style fantasy.


IMDB Page
Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: