The Fall of the House of Usher, 1928 - ★★★½

The Fall of the House of Usher, 1928 - ★★★½
REVIEWED

..::Selection for Hoop-tober 2.o Horror Fest::..
Vintage silent version of Poe's cursed family tale 'The Fall of the House of Usher' is richly brought to the screen by French filmmaker Jean Epstien and his little apprentice sidekick Luis Brunel. Beneath the stagey performances theres some wonderful, elaborate early cinema trickery going on to create that chilling effect of the houses decay. Arguably its most atmospheric moment the foggy burial scene, features jaw dropping transitional cinematography that legendary editor Rey Cisco would have been proud of.

Truth be told I viewed this to cross a 1920's movie off my Hoop-tober list, and personally I don't think its aged anything like as well as other silent greats from the 20's. Even though I was born several decades later I can still lose myself in silents like Nosferatu, Menilmontant and Metropolis. However this felt like I was merely observing. And not wanting to sound like a philistine, but I prefer the Roger Corman/Vincent Price version. Corman doesn't get nearly enough credit for his Poe adaptations. Anyhow its great and glad I finally caught up with it.


IMDB Page
Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: