Calvary, 2014 - ★★★★½

Calvary, 2014 - ★★★★½

REVIEWED



“I'd say you'd find beauty in most things, not everything.” - Father James Lavelle (Brendan Gleeson)



A rural Irish village Catholic priest, takes stock of his own life and of those around him. After he's faced with a painful confessional, that he has no answers for.


Beautiful scenery, brilliant pace and written with respect for its audience. Its a refreshing change in modern comedy drama that its darkly funny, extremely well acted and soul crushingly human. For most actors the character of Father Lavelle would be the role of a lifetime, but for Brendon Gleeson its another movie in a long line of best of's. Its clearly a labour of love for writer/director John Michael McDonagh, whose obviously been working on the material for years. I'll be the first to admit that I was disheartened last year when I found out Gleeson wasn't rejoining Colin Farrell in Martin McDonagh's 'Seven Psychopaths', but after watching 'Calvary' I think he picked the right brothers project. If it isn't in my favorite movies of 2014, it'll be a very special year for film.


[Personal Reasons For Remembering]

Wow Dylan Moran was a revelation, I haven't identified with a character so much in ages (with the possible exception of 'True Detectives' Rust). Also for seeing M. Emmet Walsh in a movie after what seems like a lifetime, and for introducing me to Killian Scott.






Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: