The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014 - ★★★½

The Grand Budapest Hotel, 2014 - ★★★½

REVIEWED



"Because if there's one thing we've learned from penny dreadfuls... it's that when you find yourself in a place like this, you must never be a candy-ass."

- M. Gustave ( Ralph Fiennes)



The endearingly twee tall tale of Grand Budapest Hotels even grander concierge M Gustave, and Zero Moustafa the bell boy who became his most trusted employee and loyalist of friends.


Gerry Anderson roles out his familiar faced marionettes for another sumptuous slice of comedy, with lashings and lashings of whipped whimsy and European pastiches. I'm not sure how I stand on this, theres been a noticeable divided with Wes Anderson's reception during the era of Letterboxd, the camp who thought he went downhill with Moonrise Kingdom and spectacularly found his feet with Grand Budapest Hotel or vice versa. Even though I enjoyed both stories, I totally bought into Moonrise's child like innocence, while I felt less on GBH's level. It screamed like Anderson making an overstatement, plus I hated the fact he overkilled the damned narration.


Still, its picturesque beauty is hard to knock, its got really funny flourishes and theres bound to be someone in this you'll enjoy. Because Anderson's films have started to feel like The Expendables in that they role out the same actors with a few new faces. I always like seeing F. Murray Abraham (my 3rd in a week) and Harvey Keitel, so that was neat. Plus the younger actors Saoirse Ronan and Tony Revolori as Zero did great.


[Personal Reasons For Remembering]

Every scene without Brody and fucking Wilson worked OK for me.






Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: