The Hive, 2015 - ★★★

The Hive, 2015 - ★★★
REVIEWED

..::Selection for Hoop-tober 2.o Horror Fest::..

"WTF I just felt my dick in me. Jess I just fucked myself!!!" - Adam (Gabriel Basso)

While I'm not saying its in the same league as Romero's brilliant satire on mindless consumerism DAWN OF THE DEAD. I think theres something a little more under the skin of David Yarovesky's THE HIVE than just the teeny summer camp zombie invasion, thats admittedly cleverly done in reverse (sorta like the amazing original DEAD ISLAND commercial). But with the added hive mind/Memento concept, I think the intention was to satirize how the past few generations during the global rise in smart phones & social networks, have stopped us totally thinking for ourselves. Theres just so many key mentions throughout the boys early on how we gonna cope the summer with no internet, and the hive jumping being like fb and google.

It was flashy and energetically done, but far too long and seemed to get progressively more dumb as it went along. But at least it tried something different. Plus it did have a few funny moments. Its big fault is that its aimed firmly at the midteen audience, and I'm an old fart.


IMDB Page
Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: