20,000 Days on Earth, 2014 - ★★★★★

20,000 Days on Earth, 2014 - ★★★★★
REVIEWED

"All the continuing, never-ending drip-feed of erotic dayglow came together at that one big crash bang of being lost to her" - Nick Cave

At least to my humble knowledge Nick Caves 20,000 DAYS ON EARTH is single handedly the slyest faux documentary on an artists persona ever made. It coyly mixes truth, mirth and performances as Cave morosely digs up aspects of his career via various clever means like talking head ghosts in his car, semi serious psychoanalysis, visits to collaborators homes, band rehearsals and the Nick Cave memorial museum!.

Due to his prolific nature I'm not Caves most hardened fan, he can easily release a few lps that slip me by then I stumble over a solo or Bad Seeds, Grinderman tune I love and have a blow-out on him again. Which I did after finishing this, I hit up youtube to hear his beautiful 'Into Your Arms' (always my Cave go to song) and found out he'd recently lost his 15 year son Arthur who is in this film briefly, I can't say nothing but my deepest sympathy for his loss. I'd have been more upbeat on this little review having not just heard that bombshell. Because Caves extremely funny in this, like the tongue in-cheek Nina Simone story, his religious drug monologue and Lionel Ritchie sounding rehearsal. He's definitely one if not the defining musical talents of his generation (Chuck D, Bjork, Beck?). And regardless if your fans, casuals like me or none fans this should be mandatory viewing for anyone interested in art and why entertainers hide behind personas. I'm mean with 5's but this is the easiest '5' & 'like' I've ever given.


IMDB Page
Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: