Late Phases, 2014 - ★★★½

Late Phases, 2014 - ★★★½
REVIEWED

::Selection for Hoop-tober 2.o Horror Fest::
.::Film #10 Toshio's All Nighter Watchlist + random.org::.

"I wasn't just blind in my eyes, I was blind in my heart" - McKinley (Nick Damici)

8ft elderly weretrolls, blind ex-nam vet who never misses a shot, crucifix booby-trap... lol I haven't 'proper' belly laughed so much at a movie in ages. Shortly after losing his wife, blind nam vet McKinley (imagine a 65 year old Tom Hardy, only more badass) moves into a closed retirement community. Shortly after moving in his guide dogs ravaged by a beast. McKinley starts to suspect one of the elderly locals is a lycan and makes plans to end its canine killing spree come the next full moon.

This is SO my kinda film. Late Phases cast & crew fully understands the key to making a best worst movie, it isn't about intentionally making it bad, but actually trying to make a good horror around a silly premise. Director Adrian Garcia Bogliano pitches a perfect balance between serious horror and ludicrously bad cheese. Nick Damici is absolutely fucking marvellous in this, for me he's the only horror actor of his generation who comes close to Stephen McHattie. Recommended for anyone seeking a stoopidly entertaining good time.


IMDB Page
Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: