The Lego Movie, 2014 - ★★★★

The Lego Movie, 2014 - ★★★★

REVIEWED



"There are NO rules: There's NO government, NO baby sitters, NO bedtimes, NO frowny faces, NO bushy mustaches, and NO negativity of any kind... And there's also NO consistency."

- Princess Unikitty (Alison Brie)



Generic legoman Emmet is reluctantly thrust into the heroic shoes of a master builder, to help fight off the threat of president businessman's evil globalization plan to glue the pieces of Lego's ever changing multi universes together.


Lego Movies plot and gags lack consistency but its so deftly paced and nostalgia inducing you'd have to be a cold hearted bastard not to forgive it for its bad puns and ropey pop culture tie-ins. The inventive switch towards the movies end, when you find why they're gluing the lego world, upped the whole thing for me from being just a plastic kids tale into something with magic. Alison Brie (6 seasons and a movie, btw thx AMAZON) was my favorite character Princess Unikitty, especially when she lost her inner niceness. Will Arnett also did fantastic as the spoilt brat 'I only work in black bricks' Batman. So did Morgan Freeman, who lets face it never fails when it comes down to voice work. Phil Lord, Christopher Miller and Warners Bros finally bucked the trend with modern cartoon movies by making a film thats not only universally appealing but one I'm sure will hold up well on repeat viewings. I've not lost myself and felt thoroughly entertained by a kids toon feature since Spongebob's movie. My only issue being my kids have grown up now and its kinda creepy guys going seeing kids movies alone (so I never caught it on the bigscreen).


[Personal Reasons For Remembering]

Everything is Awesome Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh nailed it musically again (Devo my 2nd live gig btw after New Order, what period of my life that was). The 80's lego spaceman (voiced by IASIP's Charlie Day) broken helmet and faded chest logo, just how I remember my legos looking after a few days. LOL and the duplo blocks final gag.






Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: