A Field in England, 2013 - ★★★

A Field in England, 2013 - ★★★

REVIEWED



"I think I've found out what god is punishing us for... everything." - Julian Barratt



Four men search a Civil War battlefield for a buried treasure. During their pursuit they go through a shared spiritual cataclysm.


Followup to last years successful black comedy gem 'Sightseers' Ben Wheatley & Amy Jump shoot for the moon with 'A Field In England'. Sadly they didn't reach the moon, but did get their heads in the clouds on a few occasions. For me the whole production felt slightly self-indulgent and oddly like a one off made for BBC4 drama. And it had a sort of mock arthouse tone, instead of the real deal (which I'll be honest was a touch off putting for me).


All that said the concept was great, its themes on a few occasions reminded me of Andrzej Zulawski's 'Diabel' (which isn't a bad thing). Its actually a bold movie if not a brilliant one. Be so easy for Wheatley to churn out Brit zombie/lesbian vampire/hoodie horror junk to make easy cash but hes smarter than that (so all credit to him).


The score fit the film very well, though at times felt a touch too futuristic for its period. While visually it was a mixed bag, at times it was breathtaking, other times one take meh. The acting was great (helps I'm a Limey and like the actors TV work), but some of the dialog felt more like football terrace banter, than civil war period.


[Personal Reasons For Remembering]

Julian Barratts (of Mighty Boosh) warty cock (natures own French ticklers, as I like to say). And Reece Shearsmith's (League Of Gents) mushroom induced headfuckery.






Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: