REVIEWED
The idea of using an all child cast in more adult genres is rare but been done before 'Bugsy Malone' did it with gangsters, the lesser known 'Hawk Jones' did it with cop movies. Now 'I Declare War' does it for the war genre.
Two set of local kids spend an afternoon playing a capture the flag war game in their towns woods. As the game gets more intense, and they slowly learn harsh human truths, that no side or friendship really wins when you start enforcing power and control over others.
Before watching the amazing coming of age movie 'The Kings of Summer' last night, I'd been told 'I Declare War' would make a great double bill with it. So I had to hunt it down. While its certainly worth seeing and sports a cool enough concept, (for me at least) it over stayed its welcome by 20 or so minutes and felt lacking of real purpose during its climax, to rank it worthy of an <3.
That said the characters, thanks to the young cast are great. So are a few of the gags and the imaginary over the top battles the kids have.
[Personal Reasons For Remembering]
The ginger kid who tried to pursued the new boy in the gang into ever more bizarre would you's. These included eating shit for 50$ or cutting your dick off for a life's supply of gaming consoles (all granted months before launch to help seal the deal).
Originally taken from Letterboxd
No comments:
Post a Comment