Byzantium, 2013 - ★★★★

Byzantium, 2013 - ★★★★

REVIEWED



"I am Eleanor Webb I've given you my secret, I've told you how I live. " - Eleanor (Saoirse Ronan)



Romanticized vampire yarn following Clara and her daughter Eleanor, through different periods of their centuries together fleeing the vampire order who turned them. While keeping their identities secret from those they become close towards.


Byzantium's such a flawed gem by Neil Jordan. I felt that the core story and central characters are fantastically written, yet theres no denying theres huge periods the film just feels plain old hokey and underwhelming.


The movies at its best during Ruthven (Jonny Lee Miller) & Clara's (Gemma Arterton) era. When we learn (mostly through wonderful narration by Saoirse Ronan) whose trying to retell her story via essays, the shocking secret how her mother had been turned by men into a whore and also a vampire (a sort of double slavery).


I liked it, be interesting to see maybe an alternate edit sometime. But its certainly not for everyone which is clearly reflected in its indifferent feedback (if truth be told thats the reason I'd waited so long to see it). Its very talky & starts painfully slow so its bound to lose viewers along the way, which is a shame because its got a solid story to tell. Best suited to those seeking an idle wet afternoon vampire family saga, like the older gothic variety. Than those wanting a Friday night blood drenched fang fest.


[Personal Reasons For Remembering]

Saoirse Ronans introspective performance as the angel of mercy styled vampire, who only feeds on those reaching the end of their lives.






Originally taken from Letterboxd

No comments: