REVIEWED
"The Communists gave her a job teaching sculpture to limbless children" - Hedwig (John Cameron Mitchell)
If theres a movie genre I hate its musicals, spontaneously breaking out into song usually makes me cringe and want to hurt all those involved. But strangely I really enjoyed Hedwig, helped I was taken in by John Cameron Mitchell's mesmerizing performance and the fact the plots riddled with amusing social statements and kitsch humor.
Its far from perfect and is slightly showing its age now, but you can't deny its a fun enough romp that manages to cover a few deeper themes (mostly sexuality) without coming across as preachy or sentimental.
[Personal Reasons For Remembering]
Sure I'd left this one really late, thankfully due to a few guys here on LB name dropping it in various threads. I put my musicalphobia to one side. helped it made so many nods to Lou Reed, Bowie and The Stooges era rock.
Originally taken from Letterboxd
No comments:
Post a Comment